Veg Manchurian is prevalent street food in India. It is a fried vegetable ball in a tangy sauce. Though it is considered Indo-Chinese, it’s very less likely that any Chinese people would have tasted it.
There is 2 popular version of making veg Manchurian. First, Veg Manchurian gravy, and the second one is veg Manchurian dry. Both ways are delicious and tempting. When you are making the Manchurian with the gravy, it can be served with fried rice or noodles, and the dry Manchurian can serve as a starter or a snack.
Tips for making the best Veg Manchurians-
- It is always a good idea to take out the vegetables night before making the Manchurian balls. Wash and pat dry or air dry all the vegetables before chopping them.
- When you start mixing flour and corn starch to make the vegetable balls, do not add too much flour at a time. We are not making a dough consistency here, so add flour until all the vegetables get combined, and you will be easily able to make the balls.
- Do not try to make a perfect ball shape by pressing the vegetable mixture. Just apply a drop of oil or water to your palm and roughly shape the Manchurian balls with a light hand.
- When it’s time to fry the Manchurian ball, don’t fry them on high flame or the low flame. If you fry them on a high flame, the outer layer will cook fast, but the inside will be uncooked. If you fry them on the low flame, they will absorb lots of oil. So, Fry them on medium flame until golden brown. The temperature of the oil should be 150°C to 155°C.
- Do not add the Manchurian ball when you are not ready to eat. It will get soggy, and you won’t like them. Add the balls to the hot gravy 5 minutes before you eat.
Veg Manchurian is a vegan and gluten-free dish. It’s loaded with tons of vegetables; however, it’s delicious, healthy, and kids friendly dish. If you want to make it a little healthier, instead of deep-frying, just air fry the Manchurian balls for 360°F for 15 minutes.
Find Veg Manchurian Video and Written Instructions below…
Do check them out for more Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free recipes. You may like them. If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…
Veg Manchurian Video Recipe-
Veg Manchurian written recipe-
Prep. time: 30 minutes Cooking time: minutes Serve: 4
For Manchurian Balls:
- Cabbage- 2 cups (Finely chopped)
- Green beans- 1 cup (Finely chopped)
- Carrot- 1 cup (Finely chopped)
- Spring onion- 1/2 cup (Finely chopped)
- Garlic powder or paste- 1 tsp
- Ginger powder or paste- 1 tsp
- Black Pepper powder- tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp or as needed
- Maida or all-purpose flour- 5 tbsp (it may differ depending on the moisture of the vegetables)
- Corn Starch- 3 to 4 tbsp
For Making the Sauce or Gravy
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Fresh Garlic- 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Onion- 1/2 small onion chopped (about 4 tbsp)
- Ginger- 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce- 2tbsp
- Tomato catch up- 2 tbsp
- Chili sauce- 2 tbsp or as per your taste
- Black pepper powder- 1tsp
- Salt- 1/4 tsp or as per your taste (Soy sauce also contain salt, so add salt accordingly)
- Corn starch- 1 tbsp
- Coriander or cilantro leaves- 4 tbsp (chopped)
- Spring onion green- 4 tbsp (chopped)
Let’s Begin making Veg Manchurian.
Step 1. Veg Manchurian Balls
- In a big mixing bowl, take the finely chopped veggies (cabbage, beans, grated carrot, spring onion), salt, and pepper.
- Now, add 3 tbsp maida and corn starch at a time. Mix the mixture well, but don’t over mix it (over mixing can release lots of moisture). Try to make the ball shape; if it is not binding, add 2 tbsp or more flour if required.
- Gently mix and make balls shape without squeezing the mixture a lot.
- Once all Manchurian balls are ready, time to fry them.
- Heat oil in a pan or Kadai. The oil temperature should be 150 to 155 C. Gently slide a Manchurian ball one by one. Do not overcrowd the pan. Fry the ball on medium heat until golden brown turning them over a couple of times.
- Once the balls turn crisp and golden brown, remove them with a slotted spoon and place them on a kitchen paper towel. Fry the rest of the ball and keep it aside.
Step 2. Veg Manchurian Gravy
- In a heated pan or wok, add oil and garlic. Fry the garlic for 30 seconds or until translucent.
- Now, add onion and fry them again for one minute on low flame.
- Add all the sauce, add chopped ginger, soy sauce, tomato ketchup, chili sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Stir it well. Let it cook for about 2 minutes or until it starts bubbling.
- Now, add 2 cups of water, mix, and let it comes to a boil.
- In a small bowl, take 1 tbsp of corn starch. Mix it with the water and slowly add this mixture into the boiling gravy.
- Continue mixing the gravy for 2 minutes or until it gets thicken.
- Now, add the chopped spring onion and cilantro or dhaniya leaves. Stir well and let it come to a boil
- Add the fried Manchurian balls. Gently stir and coat the fried balls in the gravy.
- Now turn off the flame and garnish it with chopped ginger and spring onion. [Do not add the Manchurian ball when you are not ready to eat. It will get soggy, and you won’t like them. Add the balls to the hot gravy 5 minutes before you eat.]
- Veg Manchurian is ready to serve. Serve it hot with fried rice or noodles.
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what you would like to see next.