Panipuri or Golgappa is a round shaped crispy puri that is small enough to easily fit in the mouth. This crisp Puri is filled with a tangy flavored water, tamarind chutney, mashed potato, and chaat masala. This snack has all three flavors; spicy, sweet, and sour, that wakes the taste bud when panipuri brakes in the mouth.
This snack is a common and everyone’s favorite street snacks in India. Almost every part of India you will find this snacks with different names, such as Golgappa, Ghupchup, Panipuri, and more. Panipuri is a Hindi name, Pani means ‘water’ and puri is a round hollow puffed crisped dough ball, which is made with semolina and flour.
If you want to make pooris at home then check this Puri for panipuri recipe or you can buy readymade puri from any Indian grocery store. Enjoy!!
For more snacks recipes that go very well with Tea/Coffee, check garlic roasted peanut, mathri, samosa, and ghugni. Try those out and please let me know if you have any question related to the recipes. Thank you!!
Try this recipe and let me know if you like it or not. Feel free to ask me any question related to my recipes in the comments section. Thank you for visiting my blog.
If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…
Prep. time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Serve: 5 or more
For Tangy water
- Mint leaves: 1 cup
- Cilantro leaves: 1 cup
- Tamarind pulp: 4 tbsp
- Green chili: 4 or as required
- Chat masala: 1tbsp
- Black pepper: 2tsp
- Black salt/salt: 1tsp
- Sugar: 1tsp
- Roasted cumin seed powder: 1tbsp
For Potato stuffing
- Potato: 4 (boiled)
- Brown gram/chickpeas: 1 cup (boiled)
- Scallion/onion: ½ cup
- Salt: to taste
- Black pepper: 1tbsp
- Red chili powder: 1tsp (optional)
- Chat masala: 1tsp
Let’s begin: How to make Panipuri with step by step photos
Making Pani/tangy water for Panipuri
- Wash all the leaves (mint and cilantro) and green chilis, and blend them with some water into a fine paste.
- Now remove the green paste from the blender and drain it by adding some water.
- Remove the drained excess leaf and keep it aside for the potato mixer.
- In a separate bowl add 4 tabs of tamarind pulp, mix the pulp with a cup of water and keep it aside.
- Now its time to mix everything. In a large bowl add all the seasoning mentioned above, tamarind water, green water, and a cup of water at this time.
- Mix very well, and check the seasoning. Add more seasoning if required.
- If you want a thin pani you could add more water, but keep checking the seasoning as per your taste.
Note: It is always a good idea to prepare the pani first so you have time to chill it in the fridge. Adding ice cubes may dilute the taste and flavor of the pani.
Making Potato stuffing
- I have boiled the potato and the brown gram with a tbsp of salt together. You can do the same or boil them separately.
- In a large bowl, add boiled peeled potatoes and mash them with a help of a fork or a potato masher.
- Now add the boiled brown gram and mix them.
- It’s time to add all the seasoning mentioned above and the drained excess leaves paste (which we have left from the pani recipe). It is totally optional to add, but I found it enhances the taste of the potato filling.
- Mix everything very well and taste it. If it requires more seasoning or you want to make it spicier. It’s totally up to you to make it as per your taste.
- Here is everything assembled. Now its time to grab a bite to eat. Yaay!!
Serving this snack has a very unique way. Here are some tips: how we serve this snack-
- Assemble everything (Pooris, potato filling, and tangy water) before you begin to make panipuri.
- Crack the top of the Puri and stuff 1 or 2 tabs of potato filling.
- Stir the green tangy water/pani and then add in the puri.
- Serve the panipuri immediately.
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next