Mustard green/leaves are similar to kale and collard green. If you haven’t tried mustard leaves I would highly recommend that you can give it at least a try. Mustard leaves are the peppery leafy green of the mustard plant and are used frequently in Indian, Chinese, and Japanese cooking. Mustard leaves are filled with lots of health benefit. They have an extremely high level of antioxidants, in the form of vitamin A and C.
Mustard leaves are also called Sarson ka saag in Hindi. Sarson ka saag with Makki di roti (unleavened cornbread) is a very famous recipe from Panjabi (India) cuisine. However, here I have cooked a different dish by using mustard leaves. Making this dish is so easy, first, I have cooked the mustard leaves. Then cooked the spices with potato and then mix the cooked leaves, and it’s done. This dish can be served with white/brown rice/quinoa or roti/any flatbread.
Make this easy, healthy dish and let me know how it went. Feel free to ask me any question related to my recipes. I would love to hear from you.
If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…
More vegetarian healthy recipes from the blog-
Prep. time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Serve: 2
- Potatoes: 2
- Mustard leaves/Sarso saag: 1 pound
- Garlic: 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Onion: 1 (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli: 2 (optional)
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Cumin seed: 1 Tsp
- Tumeric powder: 1 Tsp
- Salt: 2 Tsp or as needed
- Cilantro leaves: for garnishing
Let’s begin: How to Make Mustard green with potato with step by step photos –
- Wash and chopped the mustard leaves.
- Now, on a heated pan add the mustard leaves and a tsp of salt.
- Cover its lid and let it cook on low heat for about 5 minutes. You will see the leaves are separate some water.
- Now, turn the flame on medium for another 5 minutes or until the water dried out.
- Turn off the flame and keep the cooked leaves aside.
- Chop potatoes, onion, ginger, garlic, and chili.
- Heat oil in a pan and then add cumin seed. Allow those seeds to crack in the oil.
- Now, add ginger, garlic, onion, and green chili. Stir them for about 2 minutes.
- Add potato and a tsp of salt.
- Stir them and cover the potato and let it cook for about 5 minutes for low heat.
- Now add turmeric powder. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes or until potato fully cooked.
- Now add the cooked mustard leaves. Mix very well with the potato and the spices. Cover it for 2 more minutes on low flame and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with some cilantro leaves and sesame seeds and serve it hot.
Serve Mustard green with potato with Brown or white rice.
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next
This salad looks amazing, I would love to try it. Very few of my kids appreciate mustard greens the way I do, which means more for me!