Mustard fish curry is a very famous seafood curry in some states in India that includes Bihar, West Bengal, and Utter Pradesh. Technically, we can say it is known in the north and east parts of India.
Preparation of this fish curry is similar, but the only difference is that in some places we use cooked fish (deep fry or saute) or in some other places we use raw fish before adding into the curry. The most important ingredient of this dish is, of course, the coarsely grounded mustard seed which gives the strong flavor of mustard and makes the curry aromatic and flavorful.
When it comes to select the fish, I would say any fish would be perfect for this dish except Tuna and Salmon. In today’s recipe, I have used Catfish fillet, but it is totally perfect to use fish with bone. This dish normally served with white plain rice or chapati.
Personally, I love this fish curry. Hope you will like as well. Try this recipe and please let me know if you like this. Feel free to ask me any question related to my recipes. Thank you for visiting my blog.
Find more fish recipes, such as coconut fish curry, fish paratha, and baked whole fish.
If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next.
Prep. time: 5 mins Cooking time: 30 minutes Serve: 2
For sautéing the fish:
- Fish fillet: 1 pound
- Red chili powder: 1tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1tsp
- Salt: 1tsp
- Garlic powder or paste: 2tsp
- Oil: 1tbsp
For making the curry:
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Mustard seed: 1tsp
- Onion: ½ (finely chopped)
- Garlic: 2 tbsp (minced)
- Coarsely ground mustard seed: 2tbsp
- Red chili powder: 2tsp or as needed
- Turmeric powder: 2tsp
- Tomato: 1 (finely chopped)
- Salt: 1 tsp or as required
Let’s begin: How to make fish curry with step by step photo
- Wash and cut the fish into cubes.
- Sprinkle all dry spices (salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garlic powder) and a tsp of oil.
- Rub the fish very well with the spices.
- Heat oil in a pan, add some of the fish pieces at a time.
- Flip them over and saute them both side carefully (approx 2 minutes each side in medium heat)
- Once all pieces are sauteed, keep aside and start preparing for the curry.
- In the same pan, add mustard seed and allow them to crack in the oil.
- Now, add chopped onion and a pinch of salt. Saute until golden brown.
- Turn the flame low and then add all the spices garlic, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and mustard powder.
- Mix them quickly.
- Add diced tomato, mix with the spices
- Cover the pan and let them cook the spices on low flame for about 5 to 6 minutes or until oil separates out.
- Now add 1½ cups of water, mix it well and allow it to boil.
- Now add the sauteed fish, mix them in the curry and let them boil again for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let it rest for around 5 to 10 minutes. You will see curry become thicker.
- Now garnish with some cilantro leaves and there you go. It is ready to serve now.
Serve Mustard fish curry with chapati, plain white rice, and salad.
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next