Rice Pudding or Kheer is the very famous Indian dessert. It is prepared in festivals, temples, and all special occasions. As you know that India is a diverse country, but you will find this dessert all over in India. Though it has different names in different parts of India, such a chawal (rice) ki kheer, Payasam, kheer, Phirni, and payasa, it has same the ingredients. This dish is not only famous in India but also it is famous in other countries, which is Nepal, Pakistan, Bhutan, Iran, and Bangladesh. In those countries, It is called Firni.
The main ingredients of this dessert are rice, milk, sugar, cardamom powder, and any dry fruits. The good thing about this dessert is that it stays good in a refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. It is typically served during the meal or as a dessert. It can be served warm or cold. Personally, I like it cold?
For making this dessert, normally we use small grain rice. Basmati or any long grain rice are appealing to the eyes, so it is best suited for pulao, biryani, rice or fried rice. On the other hand, kheer is well cooked, a bit mushy so that when it is picked up in the spoon, the rice and milk doesn’t separate.
Rice pudding is the most favorite dessert among my friends, and it is highly in demand when my friends visit me. I would say if you like dairy products, try this dessert. You will like it. Enjoy!
If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…?
Prep. time: 2 minutes Cooking time: 1:15 minutes Serve: 8
- Milk: 8 cups
- Rice: ¾ cup
- Suger: 1 cup or as needed
- Almond: ¼ cup (sliced)
- Cardamon powder: 1tsp
- In a wide pan or saucepan boil the milk. In the boiling process, keep this in mind that milk should not burn.
- To avoid burning, keep stirring the milk in every 5 minutes and keep the flame medium. It will take 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the rice and keep aside.
- Reduce the flame first then add the rinsed rice.
- Stir the milk and let the rice grain cook on the low flame. Remember to keep stirring the milk in every 5 minutes.
- The whole process will take 35 to 40 minutes on the low-medium flame.
- You will the rice is fully cooked and milk consistency thickens.
- Now add sugar and keep stirring it for another 2 to 3 minutes, so that lumps are not formed in the pudding.
- Now add sliced almond and cardamom powder.
- Mix them and turn off the flame. Consistency should not be very thick.
- Keep the rice pudding aside for another 10 to 15 minutes. You will see it is more thicken by then.
- Now Rice pudding is ready to sever. You can serve it warm or refrigerate for later.
Serve the rice pudding as a dessert
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next