This homemade pita bread recipe is easy to make and requires a few ingredients you may already have on hand. This bread is similar to the Indian naan, but the process of making the dough varies a little. Pita bread dough requires yeast, but the naan doesn’t.
Making the pita bread at home is easy like making roti, just mix up the very simple dough, let it rise, and then roll it, cook it, and have a warm, perfectly puffy bread. Once you make the pita bread dough, you can use the same dough to make pizza or bread.
Pita bread can be enjoyed as a flatbread sandwich with falafel and hummus or with any kind of Indian curry, specially Chhole. Whenever I make Chhole I prefer to make pita bread instead of making Bhature. It’s a healthy option, but having a similar kind of dish.
Do check them out for more Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free recipes. You may like them. If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…
Prep. time: 1 hour 30 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Serve: 4
Pita Bread Ingredients
- All-purpose flour: 2 ½ cups (you can also use a combination of flour such as half all-purpose and half whole wheat flour)
- Warm water: ½ cup
- Active dry Yeast: 1tbsp
- Sugar: 1tsp
- Salt: 1tsp
- Oil: 4tbsp
- Milk: ½ cup
Step 1: Make dough
- In a mixing bowl add ½ cup of warm water and a tablespoon of active dry yeast and sugar. Stir it and leave it for 5 minutes. You will see yeast has been dissolved in the water.
- Now, add half of the flour, salt, oil, and milk. Mix it all together.
- Keep around 4 tbsp of flour for dusting later and add the remaining flour in the bowl.
- Stir the mixture until it starts to combines together.
- Now, dust a clean working surface with a little bit of flour. Knead lightly until smooth.
- Coat the bowl with some oil and put the dough back in the bowl and turn it a couple of times just to coat it a bit with the oil.
- Cover the bowl tightly with a plastic wrap and leave it for 1 hour or until the dough rises to double its size.
Step 2: Rolling and cooking the pita bread
- Place the dough on a clean work surface. Divide the dough into 8 to 10 equal pieces and shape them into balls.
- Cover the dough ball with the plastic wrap for 20 more minutes.
- Now, take a dough ball. Dust with some flour and roll it into a circle that’s 8 -9 inches wide and about a quarter-inch thick.
- Place the pita bread on a heated tava or pan. Cook the bread for 30 seconds on medium flame then you will see some bubble on the bread.
- Now it’s time to flip the pita over with the help of a spatula and cook it for 1-2 minutes or until some small toasted spots appear on the underside. Flip again and cook it for another 1 minute. The pita is ready when it puffs up forming a pocket.
- Note: Sometimes, pita bread may not puff or may only form a small pocket. Try pressing the pita gently with a clean towel.
- Do the same process again to cook the rest of the bread.
- Enjoy pita bread like a pita sandwich with falafel, hummus, and some fresh herbs.
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next.