Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla is a very famous north Indian dish; especially, It is made in Holi. First, let me tell you a little bit about Holi- is a festival of color and very famous Indian festival. I do not remember any Holi when I was at home and didn’t have Dahi Vada. It sounds wired right!! but it’s true!
Holi just passed this year. It was the first week of March. You will not believe I didn’t make dahi vada this year, but fortunately, I had dahi vada day after Holi.
I didn’t have any plan to make this dish today. I was just watching some random videos on youtube and as you know how youtube recommend the video. Youtube recommended me to watch this video called “how to make instant dahi vada”. I watched that video and my craving just woke up. The recipe was so instant and that’s required some readymade cookies, but I didn’t have that at home.
My craving for dahi vada was so strong. I just went to the kitchen and take out the basic ingredients to make this dish. Dahi vada’s main ingredient is urad dal/lentil. Basically, we soaked urad dal overnight before making vadas. But today I made it instant means I didn’t soak the dal. Just took the dal and grind it. Once you get dal/lentil flour then it is so easy to make.
Garnishing the dahi vadas are the most important steps. Traditionally, we garnish the dahi vada with sweet, spicy and sour chutney (tomato, mint, tamarind) and some spices like chat masala, red chili powder, black salt and cumin seed powder. However, today I had only tamarind chutney, mixture masala and roasted cumin seed powder, which I used to garnish my dahi vada. I have already shared mixture recipe if you wanna make mixture masala at home do check out mixture recipe. Guys, you can also use any chutney or seasoning, which you like most, to garnish you dahi vadas.
Today was the first day I made this dish so quickly and I did not know how It is going to be turned out, so did not click all steps photos, but I do click some photos in my phone. Now I know it turned out so well and very soft, so I am going to post this dish recipe before I forget. I will write the ingredients and method to make this dish down below. Enjoy!!
For more snacks recipes that go very well with Tea/Coffee, check garlic roasted peanut, mathri, samosa, and ghugni. Try those out and please let me know if you have any question related to the recipes. Thank you!!
Please, let me know if you like this dish. Feel free to ask me any question related to my recipes. Thank you for visiting my blog.
If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…
Prep. time: 5 minutes Cooking times:15 minutes Serve: 2
- Urad dal/lentil: ½ cup
- Moong dal/lentil: ½ cup
- Salt: 1 tsp or as required
- Baking soda: ½ tsp or a pinch
- Roasted cumin seed powder: 1tsp
- Garlic powder: 1 tsp (optional)
- Red chili flakes: 1tsp (optional)
- Oil: for frying the Vadas
- Yogurt/dahi: 2 cups
- Sugar: ½ tsp
For Garnishing the Dahi Vara
- Tamarind chutney: 2 tabs (if you don’t have available that’s okay, You can use any spicy, sweet, or sour chutney)
- Roasted cumin seed powder: 1 tbsp
- Mixture masala: 1 tbsp (I have made this masala in my Mixture recipe) Or You can use chat masala and black salt instead of mixture masala.
- Take both dal/lentils (urad and moong) grind them together. (Don’t make the dal too fine)
- Once you get the dal flour, add baking soda, salt, red chili flakes, and garlic powder.
- Mix all dry ingredients first then add little by little water at a time.
- Make a thick consistency paste. You will see the batter gets so fluffy. (I have clicked some photos on my phone. Photos quality is not good, but you can get some idea how the batter consistency should be)
- Now heat the oil in a deep frying pan. Either add the dal batter a spoonful at a time with your hand or with the help spoon.
- Fry varas on medium heat till light brown.
- Take out the varas on a paper towel.
- Once you all done with frying than place the varas in the warm water for about 5 minutes.
- you will see vadas has increased their size and changed the color.
- Now time to take off from the water. Press gently each soaked vada between your palm to remove excess water.
- In a large bowl beat the yogurt with some ½ tsp of sugar and salt.
- Now add the vadas in the beaten yogurt and give them a gentle mix.
- Now vada is ready to serve, but before serving it don’t forget to garnish it.
- Garnish the Dahi vara with your favorite chutney and spices.
Serve Dahi vada/Dahi Bhalla as an appetizer or snacks.
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next