Curd Rice as a dish has its origin in the South of India. It is amazingly simple and easy to cook; made with precooked rice, curd(yogurt) & tempering spices. It can be eaten on its own or served with poppadams and pickle. The complete serving is vegetarian and gluten-free.
Curd rice is often considered a superfood by the south Indians. It is filling, nutritious and helps to keep the body cool in the summer heat, and improves digestion.
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Regular Rice: 1 cup
- Curd (yogurt): ½ cup
- Green Chillies/Green Peppers (optional): 2 (finely chopped)
- Dried red-chilies (pepper) (whole): 2 nos
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tbs
- Fresh coriander leaves (parsley): 1/4th cup (chopped)
- Curry leaves: 10 individual leaves
- Carrot (medium-sized): 1 (finely chopped)
- Chana daal (raw): 1tbs
- Urad daal (skinless): 1tbs
- Asafoetida (Hing): 1 pinch
- Garlic cloves (skinless): 6 nos
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Cooking Oil/Ghee (Clarified Indian Butter)/Butter: 2 tbs
- Water: 4 cups
- Wash the rice well to remove excess starch and drain it away.
- Add the rice to a pot and pour the water into it.
- Cook the rice on high heat with occasional stirring, until the rice gets soft and mushy.
- Drain the water completely and allow the rice to cool down to room temperature.
- Once the rice is cooled, add the curd (yogurt) and salt to the rice and mix well. You may add 2-3 tbs of water to it to loosen it slightly.
- Take a saucepan or a wok. Put it on medium-high heat. Add the cooking oil/butter to it.
- Add the mustard seeds, asafoetida, chana daal, urad daal, garlic cloves, dried red chili, chopped carrot, curry leaves, and green chilies (pepper) to the oil and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and add the mixed curd (yogurt) rice to the saucepan or wok and mix well.
- Add the finely chopped coriander/parsley to it and mix well again.
- Its ready !!!
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what you would like to see next.