Dal Makhani is rich in protein, lentil-based stew, which is a known dish from northern India, especially from Panjabi cuisine. The primary ingredients for this recipe are whole black lentil (whole urad dal), red kidney beans (rajma), butter, and cream.
Dal makhani traditionally takes quite a long time to make, starting with soaking the lentils and then cooking them for hours or more quickly in a pressure cooker. It’s often reserved for special occasions, like holidays and birthdays.
People love Indian food, but when its time to make Indian dish at home, it overwhelms them because we Indians use lots of spices in our food. So instead of buying all the spices, people prefer to eat in Indian restaurants. Here, I am going to share dal makhani recipe which is easy to make with less time and very few spices/ingredients.
In this Dal makhani Recipe, I have only used 3 spices (red chili, turmeric, and garam masala powder), which is very easily available in any Asian grocery store. For making, most of the Indian curry the primary ingredients are onion, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, and spices. Now, the problem is the selection of spices, I would say, it okay to not use all the spices. You can select some spices which you can use in any curry and the food will be still tasty. My all-time favorite spices are turmeric powder and garam masala. I use these spices in almost my all curry.
If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…
More vegetarian healthy recipes from the blog-
- Eggplant peanut curry
- Chickpea saag soup
- Sauteed Mushroom Spinach
- Zucchini fritters
- Banana soup
- Chili soy nuggets
- Chana Masala
Prep. time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes Serve: 4
- Whole black lentil (urad dal): 1 cup (soaked overnight)
- Red kidney beans (Rajma): 1/2 cup (soaked overnight)
- Heavy cream: 1/2 cup
- Tomato puree: 1 cup
- Cumin seed: 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tbsp
- Tumeric Powder: 1 tbsp
- Garam masala: 1 tbsp
- Onion: 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger paste/powder: 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste: 1 tbsp
- Butter: 4 tbsp
- Dry methi leaves/Cilantro leaves: for garnishing
Let’s begin: How to Make Dal Makhani with step by step photos –
- Soak black lentil and kidney beans overnight in enough water for about 5 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain them and pressure cook them with 3 cups of water and 1 tbsp of salt on medium heat for about 20 minutes or 3 whistles.
- Turn off the flame and keep them aside.
- In a heated pan, add 2 tbsp of butter and then add cumin seed. Allow those seeds to creak.
- Now add garlic and onion. Sauté them till light brown.
- Now its time to add all spices (turmeric powder, red chili powder, ginger powder, and garam masala) mix them with tomato puree.
- Cover the lid and cook the spices and tomato on low heat for about 10 minutes. Don’t forget to stir in between.
- Now add boiled dal and rajma along with the stock. Add 1cup or less water depending on the consistency you like.
- Keep the heat on medium. Add 2 tabs of butter and bring it to the boil. This process will take about 10 minutes.
- Once dal start boiling keep the flame low for about 5 minutes. And then add heavy cream.
- Stir well and in 2 minutes turn off the flame.
- Now Dal Makhani is ready to serve. Garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves and heavy cream.
Serve Dal Makhani with rice, roti, naan, or pulao.
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next.