Chhole (Chana Masala) is delicious curry from Punjab cuisine. It is also very popular in all over India and worldwide. This delicious and tempting curry is prepared from white chickpeas, also called in kabuli chana. The main Ingredients for this recipe is tomatoes, onion, ginger, garlic, and the basic Indian spices. Chhole is best enjoyed with Bhature (deep fried puffed Indian bread) and pickle as an evening snack or dinner. Chhole also can be served with rice, roti, or pita bread.
In this recipe, I have used the quickest method to make chana masala/chhole. But, traditionally, chickpeas are boiled with tea powder to get the dark color and then mix into the prepared masala. I have tried both methods to make this recipe and found the taste is almost similar. So, here I am going to share how to make delicious and quickest chana masala/chhole recipe, which you can prepare in a pressure cooker. If a pressure cooker is not available, you can also prepare this curry by using a deep pan, but it would take more time to cook. Or you can also use the canned boiled chickpeas to make this curry as well.
If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…
More vegetarian healthy recipes from the blog-
- Eggplant peanut curry
- Chickpea saag soup
- Sauteed Mushroom Spinach
- Zucchini fritters
- Banana soup
- Chili soy nuggets
- Chana Masala
Prep. time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Serve: 4
- Chickpeas (Spanish: Garbanzo beans; Hindi: Kabuli chana): 2 cups (Socked overnight)
- Onion: 1 large size
- Garlic: 4 cloves
- Ginger: 1 inch
- Tomatoes: 2
- Oil: 4 tbsp
- Cumin seed: 1tbsp
- Red chili powder: 1
- Turmeric Powder: 2
- Garam masala: 1 tbsp
- Water: 3 cups
- Salt: as per your taste
- Cilantro/coriander leaves: 2 sprigs (finely chopped)
Let’s begin: How to make Chhole with step by step photos
- Rinse and soak the chickpeas in water for at least 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Now, prepare all the spices. First, blend the roughly chopped onion, garlic, and ginger together.
- In the same blender blend tomatoes separately and keep it aside.
- Heat oil the pressure cooker and then add cumin seeds. Allow those seeds to crack.
- Turn the flame low and then add red chili powder and turmeric powder, mix them.
- Add blended onion, ginger, garlic paste, mix them. Keep the flame on medium and stir the spices for about 5 minutes.
- Now add blended tomato. Stir them until it dries out and oil starts separating out.
- Add gram masala powder and soaked chickpeas. Stir them for 2 to 3 minutes.
- And then add 3 cups of water and pressure cook it for about 15 minutes on medium heat or 5 whistles. Turn off the flame and let the pressure come down naturally.
- After opening the lid, you would see the water has reduced and chickpeas are fully cooked.
- Garnish with some chopped cilantro leaves and be ready to enjoy.
Serve Chhole with bhature and some raw onion and pickles
Please follow us on: