Butter chicken is a very famous Indian dish. Small pieces of chicken are marinated with some spices, ginger, garlic, and lime juice. They then get sautéed and cooked until tender in a creamy, mildly spiced tomato-based curry.
Many People are confused with butter chicken and chicken tikka masala. The main difference between these two mouth-watering dishes are butter chicken has lesser tomato intensity, but creamier then Chicken tikka masala. Butter masala is cooked in a pan over a fire while chicken Tikka is cooked in the tandoor and then add into the tomato-based creamy curry.
The common ingredients for this dish are chicken, heavy cream, butter, tomato paste or puree, ginger, garlic, lime juice or yogurt, and garam masala. The preparation of butter chicken curry is very simple and requires less time. For making this dish, first, marinate the chicken and leave it for at list 10 minutes. Meanwhile, start preparing for the creamy curry. For the curry, I have used the canned tomato puree, but it is totally optional. You can always use the freshly ground tomato to make this yummy butter chicken. Sauté the chicken and add in the curry. Cook chicken until tender and then add the heavy cream and butter. Now, Butter chicken is ready to serve!! Garnish Butter chicken with some heavy cream and dried methi leaves and serve hot!!
This dish goes well with any type of flatbread, Naan, rice, or quinoa. Find full Butter Chicken recipe with step by step pictures below.
If you like this simple Butter Chicken recipe then you can also try other healthy chicken recipes or healthy vegetarian recipes that you can make in your lunch or dinner. Feel free to ask me any questions related to my recipes. I would love to hear from you.
If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next recipe. Stay healthy…
You might also like some chicken recipes from the blog-
- Instant chicken biryani
- Pineapple chicken
- Saag chicken
- Chili chicken
- Coconut chicken kabobs
- Palak Chicken
Here are some vegetarian healthy recipes from the blog-
- Paneer Tikka Masala
- Dal Makhani
- Curried Eggplant
- Chickpea saag soup
- Sauteed Mushroom Spinach
- Zucchini fritters
- Banana soup
- Chili soy nuggets
- Chana Masala
Please visit www.tangyhoney.com for more recipes.
Prep. time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Serve: 2
For Marinating the Chicken
- Chicken thigh/breast: 1 pound
- Garlic: 1 tbsp (paste or powder)
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1tsp (as needed)
- Lime juice: 1tbsp
For the Butter Masala curry
- Butter: 4 tbsp
- Cumin seed: 1 tbsp
- Onion: 1 medium size (finely chopped)
- Garlic: 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Ginger: 1 tbsp (powder or paste)
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tbsp
- Garam masala: 1 tbsp
- Tomato puree: 4 tbsp
- Heavy cream: 1/2 cup
- Salt: 1 tsp or as needed
- Cilantro leaves: for garnishing
Let’s begin: How to Make Butter Chicken with step by step photos –
- Assemble all the ingredients to marinate the chicken.
- Wash and cut the chicken thigh or breast into small pieces.
- Now, add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garlic powder or paste, and salt. Mix all the spices along with lime juice a tsp of oil.
- Add butter in a pan and sautee all the chicken pieces for about 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Once chicken is cooked both side, turn off the flame and keep the chicken pieces aside.
- Heat butter in a pan. Once it’s hot add cumin seeds and allow those seed to crack.
- Now add ginger and garlic paste and stir it for 30 seconds and then add finely chopped onion. stir until onions turn light brown in color.
- Once onion is translucent add all the spices red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and ginger powder. Mix the spices with some water and let them cook on simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Now, you will see the spices separating out some butter, it’s time to add tomato puree and salt. Cover the pan and cook the spices for another 5 minutes on low flame.
- Don’t forget to stir in between.
- Now, add 1 cup of water, mix it well, and allow it to boil.
- Time to add sauteed chicken pieces, mix them in the curry and let them cook for about 10 minutes on simmer.
- At this point, chicken has been cooked and also absorbed some spices flavor.
- Now, add heavy cream and butter. Stir them well.
- Let it cook for about 1 more minute and then turn off the flame.
- Butter chicken is ready to serve. Garnish with some heavy cream and finely cilantro or dried methi leaves.
Serve Butter Chicken Curry with naan/rice/Paratha.
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next.